Every Friday, The edge publishes our flagship podcast, The Vergecast, where co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn discuss the Week in Tech News with reporters and editors covering the biggest stories.
This week, Nilay and Dieter bring Edge policy editor Russell Brandom and editor Alex Cranz to cover the series of unfortunate events for Facebook: The 60 minutes whistleblower interview Sunday, the massive Facebook outage on Monday, the Senate whistleblower hearing on Tuesday, and the fallout and response over the following days.
The Vergecast The team discusses the testimony of whistleblower Frances Haugen, how these events stood out from the various Facebook scandals of the past, and what could happen next with tech regulation.
Later in the show, the team switches to this week’s lighter tech news: Google announces its Pixel 6 event for this month, Android 12 review, battery test updates for the latest iPhones, and more.
Listen to the full discussion here or in your favorite podcast player.
Stories discussed this week:
- TechToSeeTech 2021 survey
- Facebook encourages for-profit hate speech, whistleblower says
- Locked down and totally offline: Facebook’s rush to fix a massive outage
- Facebook returns after six-hour outage
- Facebook is back online after massive outage that also deleted Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger and Oculus
- Facebook explains backbone shutdown behind global outage on Monday
- What is BGP and what role did it play in the massive Facebook outage
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook whistleblower audience
- Whistleblower audience hits Facebook where business is weakest
- Facebook whistleblower audience uncovered the danger of engagement algorithms
- Facebook whistleblower report confirms what researchers have known for years
- Facebook launches coward’s playbook to smear whistleblower
- What is Good, Bad and Missing in Facebook Whistleblower Testimonial
- Mark Zuckerberg breaks silence to say Facebook whistleblower claims “don’t make sense
- Facebook reportedly slows down feature development for “reputation reviews”
- Google just announced its Pixel 6 event on October 19
- Android 12 test: it’s mainly the look
- Android 12 will arrive on Pixel phones in the “next few weeks”
- Pixel 6’s 23W wireless charging stand and more details leak early
- Autonomy of iPhone 13 Mini and 13 Pro Max: better and a beast
- Latest iOS 15.1 Beta Includes iPhone 13 Pro Camera Features
- Halide’s latest update brings macro mode from iPhone 13 Pro to older iPhones
- After Epic v. Apple, a small developer questions Apple’s in-app payment system
- Apple makes it easy to remove accounts attached to third-party apps
- Apple’s Healthcare division relied on misleading data, report says
- Nintendo Switch OLED review: screen time
- Google’s latest doorbell and latest Next camera aren’t obvious upgrades
- Amazon would work on a smart fridge
- Twitch Confirms Major Data Breach After Source Code And Secrets Leaked
- Taylor Swift fans enter Virginia gubernatorial race
- The TechToSeeis now on your smart TV
- Springboard Announcement: TechToSee’s Documentary About The Forgotten History Of The Treo
- Vergecast: HTC’s new VR headset and what to expect at next week’s tech events
- Vergecast: Are Facebook’s Glasses Smart?
- Vergecast: iPhone 13, iPad Mini and everything Apple has announced
- Vergecast: Amazon Fall Hardware Event, Google Search On Event, and Code 2021 Conference
- Vergecast: iPhone 13 Reviews and Microsoft’s Fall Surface Event