Tile has officially announced its first ultra-wideband (UWB) tracking beacon, the Tile Ultra, coming in 2022 and which Tile says is the first tracking beacon from any company to offer UWB support on Android and iOS.
Tile doesn’t give any price information or a release date beyond “early 2022,” but it did provide a first glimpse of what the Ultra will look like and how it will work. From the outside, the Ultra looks like the recently updated Tile Pro, with a rounded rectangular shape and a built-in key fob.
But indoors, in addition to using Bluetooth radios to take advantage of Tile’s device network to discover the approximate location of an object, the Tile Ultra (similar to Apple’s AirTag and SmartTag Samsung Plus) can then use its UWB radio to deliver more precise locating capabilities, even if your tag is behind a shelf or under a sofa. The Ultra will also offer an augmented reality mode to easily direct you directly to your missing tracker.
The new Ultra Tag arrives as Tile is also announcing updated versions of the rest of its tracking tag line (the Mate, Pro, Slim, and Sticker), which have been updated with sleeker designs, higher volume, and improved water resistance. These four new models, unlike the Ultra, are available today.
- Tile Ultra will be able to visually show you your lost keys
- Tile’s refreshed Bluetooth trackers benefit from increased range, louder ringtones and improved durability
- Best key finder in 2021: AirTag vs. Tile vs. SmartTag vs. Chipolo
- Niantic closes its AR game Catan after a year of early access
- Apple’s Updated MagSafe Leather Wallet Supports Find My Location Tracking