If I were an emoji sommelier, there are a couple that I would definitely recommend after reviewing this year’s selection of 37 finalized emoji. And it’s a combination of the new “bubble” emoji with the existing “peach” emoji. The old emoji has just been finalized with version 14.0 of the Unicode standard, but the collection has been public since the beginning of this year.
The reason is simple. Peach has long duplicated itself as an internationally recognized symbol of the human buttocks, making “butt bubbles” an elegant euphemism for farts. Of course, you’ve been able to tell a similar visual story for a long time by combining fishing with the gust of wind emoji (which I now see technically being called ‘rushing’). But now you have more options. As if you wanted to symbolize the act of emitting gas in a bath or a swimming pool, you monster.
The list, which is nicely summarized by Emojipedia, also includes new faces such as “biting lip” and “saluting face”. Unfortunately for the English looking to ward off bad luck, there isn’t a magpie emoji yet to pair the latter with. New hand gestures include a pair of hands creating the shape of a heart and a hand pointing at the screen. As part of this release, handshakes in the hands of different skin tones are now officially supported.
Finally, there are also new gender options for pregnancy, including emoji for “pregnant person” and “pregnant man”. A new “person with crown” joins the existing “prince” and “princess” emoji.
Now that the list of emoji has been finalized, it’s up to the major platform owners to add the designs to their software, which for the most part is expected to happen next year between January and August, according to Emojipedia. If you want to know more about making emoji, The edgeJay Peters helped create this year’s “bubble” and “waving face” emoji, and has already submitted proposals for “gaping face” and “waffle”. You can read all about the process he went through here.
- Twitter is testing emoji reactions to tweets
- Unicode 14.0 brings 37 new emojis, including Saluting Face, Biting Lip and more
- A doctor’s quest for more organ emoji
- Twitter FB Feature: Twitter May Get This Facebook Messenger Feature Soon
- Telegram launches new chat themes, interactive emoji and live recording, more
- Google’s new accessibility features are available on all Android phones
- New Apple MagSafe charger spotted in FCC alongside four new phones
- The new Urbanista Lisbon wireless headphones are a functional fashion accessory
- Facebook Portal Go is a new smart display that you can take anywhere in the house