Android 12 beta 5 for supported devices was recently released by Google and prior to the stable release we now have a possible date for the official Android 12 stable release.
A leaked Google internal document shared by XDA Developer Mishaal Rahman (@MishaalRahman) suggests that the source code for Android 12 will be released on Google’s Android Open Source (AOSP) project on October 4.
The availability of the operating system source code on AOSP is the green light for OEMs like Samsung, Motorola, OnePlus, and Xiaomi to use the code from Android 12 to create their own custom Android12-based skins. This will kick off the development of Android 12 based skins like OxygenOS 12 and OneUI 4.0.
The stable update for Android 12 could be released on October 4, as that’s when Google plans to release it on AOSP. This tentative release date was also mentioned by a 3PL. pic.twitter.com/PMN802gQj0
– Mishaal Rahman (@MishaalRahman) September 12, 2021
However, in recent years, the source code release date of a new update on AOSP has also coincided with the stable release of the Android system update for Pixel phones. For example, the source code for Android 11 as well as the first stable update for supported Pixel phones were both rolled out on September 8 of last year.
This indicates that a stable update will also be released on October 4 of this year, if Google decides to release both on the same date again. Note that this is only speculation at this point, as Google has not confirmed the date of an official rollout or the availability of the AOSP code.
Android 12: What’s new?
Android 12 is expected to bring a major overhaul to the visual appearance of the operating system. The update is expected to include a new Material You design language that will focus on customization. The new update will also include a new privacy dashboard, which will serve as a single destination to adjust all permissions and privacy-related settings.
Other new additions include a redesigned lock screen, clock app, notification bar, and quick settings toggles. Faster animations and movements on the user interface are also part of the package. Here’s a detailed look at all the new features in Android 12.
- Android 12 could be released on October 4
- Google could release Android 12 on October 4
- Android 12’s final release date may have been leaked – here’s when to expect it
- Android 12 Beta 5 update rollout, stable version in a few weeks: Google
- Google says Android 12 is in “a few weeks”, makes beta available on Pixel 5A
- Microsoft is preparing Windows 11 for release with a new version
- When does my phone get Android 12? It will be a while
- Windows 11 Android support spotted online before launch
- Samsung launches Android 12-based One UI 4 beta update