TikTok is dominated by all kinds of “miraculous” cleaning tricks to tackle almost any household chore imaginable. And while we may learn more about the many powers of baking soda, it looks like another element is taking over the cleanup game.
The humble dishwasher tablet has gone viral for its “power” to get rid of grease and grime on everything from ovens to stovetops. And maybe that shouldn’t come as a surprise, given that their purpose is to make dishes and dishes shine.
However, if you’re spending way too much time (and money) cleaning greasy stovetops, this TikTok hack just might be your answer. The TikTok video in question, posted by Miss Scrubolic, the watch placing a dishwasher tablet on its dirty cooktop before filling it with hot water. Quite simple?
I decided to test it to find out if it will thoroughly clean my greasy baking sheet and make it sparkle (or not!).
How to clean your hob with a dishwasher tablet – four steps
1. Following the instructions in the video, I first boiled a jug of hot water.
2. Then I placed my greasy baking sheet in the sink before putting a dishwasher tablet in the center of the hob.
3. After the kettle boiled, I carefully poured the water onto the hob. The TikTok video says to let it soak for 20 minutes, but I actually left it for 30 minutes to give the tablet more time to dissolve (and make its magic work) in the hot water.
4. Once it was all dissolved, I then scrubbed the tray with a brush and sponge to remove any oil and soap residue.
Verdict: Although cleaning the grease from the griddle was easier this way, it still looked exactly the same as before. Maybe I had high (or unrealistic) expectations for the amount of sparks afterwards.
Either way, the dishwasher tablet hack at least turned a daunting task of getting rid of the oil into something that took seconds – and that can only be a good thing.
How to clean your hob with a dishwasher tablet – on the stovetop
While this particular cleaning hack didn’t do a great job for me, this alternative dishwasher hack still works.
1. Simply place the baking sheet on a hot stove and fill it with hot water.
2. Add a dishwasher tablet to it, then boil for 10 minutes.
3. Let cool before carefully cleaning the hob in the sink.
This method seems to be much more effective at removing stubborn oil in no time, and I’ll be using it from now on.
If you like cleaning or other tips to make your life easier, be sure to check out our own TIC Tac videos.