The “At a Glance” widget that Google won’t let us disable on Pixel phones is finally going to do more than show you the weather, your commute times, and your appointments. There are rumors to be a hefty list of new integrations and these have now started rolling out to devices including the Pixel 6.
Likely thanks to an update to the Google app that rolled out earlier this week, the At a Glance options have started showing three new “features” that you can turn on or off. These new options are “Timer and Stopwatch”, “Bedtime”, and “Fitness”. They should be mostly self-explanatory, but let’s talk about each briefly.
- Timer and stopwatch: Google lists it as pulling timer and stopwatch information from the Clock app on your phone. We hope this means that it will show timely shortcuts to previous timers and stopwatches based on your usage.
- Bedtime: Google explains it as “your next bedtime from the Clock app”. For those using the Bedtime setting, we’re guessing this is going to show as a reminder that your bedtime schedule is about to kick off and potentially changing settings.
- Aptitude: For this option, Google says it will simply show “information about your fitness app activity”. It really should show you recent activity, like a run or a workout, which is information I’m not sure anyone out there needs.
These aren’t the only features we expect, however. As I mentioned above, a previous report had 8 new features on the way and it’s only 3. The others include an integration of maps or lists related to purchases in a store, a summary of connected devices, notifications from something like your doorbell, flashlight reminder, and security check.
Here is what we wrote about these 5 other features previously:
- In a store: If you are in a supported store, you may see shopping lists, Google Pay rewards cards
- Connected devices: When Bluetooth devices are connected, it can show you the battery. I still prefer to have this widget.
- doorbell: You can see a notification or a shortcut to view your doorbell when it rings
- Flash light: A reminder on the home screen that your flashlight is on
- Security controle: A security check countdown from the Personal Security app
Again, I’d really like to disable this whole area and reclaim it for use with my own widgets, but if Google wants to force it on us, new features might allow us to enjoy it again.
- Best video doorbells in 2021: Top smart doorbell cameras rated
- Best Black Friday Ring Doorbell Deals 2021: What to Expect
- How to Turn Off Notifications in Android (Every Version)
- Google Maps vs. Apple Maps: Which navigation app is best?
- Belkin Wemo Video Doorbell review: the best Apple HomeKit doorbell camera to get