Apple today introduced an updated version of its MagSafe leather wallet with new colors and support for an additional feature: tracking in the Find My app. Apple’s location service recently expanded with the addition of AirTags, and now the company is apparently working. some version of the same functionality in its more low-tech accessories.
It might sound like the continuous tracking of AirTags offers, but Apple’s description points to something simpler. The company writes that the wallet “supports Find My, so you can be notified of the last known location of your wallet if it is separate from your phone.” This is useful, but may not be useful if someone moves your wallet after they separate.
Apple isn’t quite sure why this is the case on its product page, but it is possible that what is really happening is that your iPhone is simply noting when the MagSafe magnet is or is not attached to your. telephone. Your iPhone is already playing a little animation when you connect a MagSafe product, it wouldn’t be too hard to imagine it marking a GPS position in Find My when a MagSafe accessory is disconnected.
There is also a strange exception: In the fine print, Apple notes that the new Find My feature is not supported on Clear Case with MagSafe. The best guess here is that any unique ID that your iPhone recognizes when you connect a MagSafe device can be blocked by a transparent case. Why the Clear Case but not other MagSafe cases would prevent Apple from knowing when a wallet is disconnected is unclear. That doesn’t necessarily make the new wallet any less useful, but it does show that it has limitations that a normal wallet with an AirTag or Tile inserted inside wouldn’t.
The edge contacted Apple for an explanation of how the new Find My feature works and what exactly is happening with Clear Case. We will update if we learn more.
The Leather iPhone Wallet with MagSafe is available now for $ 59.
- Here’s why you’ll want Apple’s new MagSafe Wallet to go with your iPhone 13
- IPhone 13 looks likely to bring back MagSafe, and hopefully with few changes
- IPhone 13’s new MagSafe charger may just have appeared at the FCC
- New Apple MagSafe charger spotted in FCC alongside four new phones
- How to use iPhone location tracking
- Best MagSafe accessories for your iPhone in 2021
- Arizona and Georgia among the first states to adopt driver’s licenses and ID in Apple Wallet
- Joby’s new iPhone camera accessories use MagSafe
- Apple Watch 7 will be hard to find but it could still accompany iPhone 13 at launch